Monday, September 5, 2011

Quack Watch

Every wondered about the evidence based practice of a certain treatment or claim?  If you're in the health profession you undoubtedly have heard the phrase "evidence based practice" and have used it in your own work or when teaching.  To the lay person it means, is there actual proof behind what someone is claiming.

There are countless claims about new wonder drugs and therapies that fill the headlines and spread across the internet like wildfire.  Stephen Barrett M.D. does his best to have them evaluated, tested and reported about their scientific backing.  He operates the site Quackwatch that has reviewed hundreds of claims about treatments of all kinds for all types of ailments.  If you have a question about something that doesn't seem right or feasible, his site is a recommended first stop to try and find more information.

www.quackwatch.com

Personal note:  I have used this site many times and find it extremely informative and a great source of reliable information to help me in my own decisions about new treatments and techniques.  I do not put my own backing behind their claims. Ask me personally, then we can chat and I will let you know what I think (which I'm more than happy to do).  Take your own health into your own hands (as long as it's safe, of course).
-Joel Luedke Mse, ATC/L, CSCS

No comments:

Post a Comment